Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Time to Go!!

Well, after months of planning the big day has finally arrived.  Today it is off to Vancouver and tomorrow Tokyo for five weeks of exploring a country and city that I fell in love with over twenty years ago.  I am grateful for the opportunity to travel there again.

This past week has been crazy with so many last minute things – finishing up a university course (did not want to take school books with me), getting my own kids organized for me being gone, training someone to look after the business while away and check lists for the house and animals.  I honestly think it will be better once I get on the plane and there will be nothing else to worry about but the students and the adventure ahead.

Packing has been interesting but is almost complete.  I knew I was in trouble last night when I just packed my gifts and the suitcase was already just under the allowable weight.  At that time I had not packed any of my personal items including clothes, shoes, toiletries etc.  Today I added my clothes and personal items and the suitcase weighed 65 lbs, not great when you can only check 50 lbs.  So, out came what seems like 10 lbs in maple syrup, a bag full on pencils and pins (gifts), my shoes, and some books.  I also removed some t-shirts, all my shampoo and conditioner, make-up bag and some other smaller personal items.  The suitcase now weighs 47 lbs so hoping the scale at the airport comes up the same!!  The gifts and maple syrup has been transferred to my carry-on bag.  The rest I will do without.

I am sure the next five weeks will be busy and full of new sites, smells and adventures.  I am not doing this adventure alone but taking along with me fourteen amazing young adults from Ontario and Alberta.  It has been a long time in the planning stages with the past four months busy with emails back and forth with them and their family.  I am sure they are as excited as I am that we are finally leaving.  After months of planning and chatting, it seemed like this day at times would never arrive.

Heading to and exploring a new country and be both exciting and scary.  I can still remember the day I stepped on a plane to travel halfway around the world by myself over twenty years ago.  I managed to keep it together for the first long flight but after switching planes to fly from Tokyo to Kyoto, the reality of the whole situation hit me.  Here I was on a plane all by myself, in a country were the dogs could understand more of the language than I could.  What did I think I was doing?  I think I cried for most of the flight.  The fear of being in a strange country by myself for a year quickly disappeared as I realized the amazing adventure I had before me.

Well, that is it for now – still have some last minute packing to do and have to head to the airport in less than an hour.  I hope to post from time to time while traveling, sharing my experiences and thoughts on this far away adventure.

The "gift" side of my suitcase!

No comments:

Post a Comment