Monday, July 18, 2011

Freedom

Coming to Japan this time I thought my transition into Japanese culture and life would be easy. I had lived in Japan previously and was knowledgeable and comfortable with both Japanese culture and daily life. Although my Japanese language knowledge was burned deep in my brain, day by day it started to emerge with words and phrases beginning to make sense. The one thing I was not quite prepared for however was my lack of freedom and almost total dependance on those around me.

While in Japan I have no cell phone, no access to vehicle (not that I would even try driving here), not even my own schedule. Where I go, what I do, what and when I eat is all decided by someone. This has been a bit of an adjustment for me. In Canada I work, volunteer in the community and oversee a busy household of three children and numerous pets. I am always busy, packing as much as possible into each day. I have access to a truck and many times decide what I doing with my day and where I go. I am able to make decisions for myself. If I am hungry, I can make a snack, if I want to go out, I can go. While in Japan I have surrender myself to those around me, very much like a young child again, allowing them to decide where, when, who and how.

You might say this trip to Japan as forced me to relax and slow down. To relay on others in a way I have not done for years. It has taught me that it is all right to give up control and allow others to decisions for you. Have I missed my freedom – of course but I am here to learn and experience the life and culture. To do this, I also must surrender I bit of who I am in Canada and accept each day as a new adventure just waiting to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment