Saturday, July 9, 2011

One Long Day Plus Another....

July 10 - This is my first post since arriving in Japan. The past few days have just seemed to run into each other with some of the days really not having a beginning or ending. It is early here on Sunday morning (around 5:00 am), I tossed and turned until about 4:00 am and finally gave up on sleeping around the same time. The air is hot even at this time in the day and although I had a fan going all night, there is little movement.

The house I am currently staying at just outside of Tokyo has internet available. I am trying to keep quiet so not to wake anyone else. I have been listening to the city wake up around me, first with the birds and now with some traffic. It is light here early, starting around 4:30 am but gets dark around 7pm in the evening.

Yesterday as I sat at the Olympic Center in Tokyo, one of the students turn to me and said they could not believe they were finally in Japan. I have to say, I kind of felt the same way. After months of planning, preparation and anticipation, it was hard to believe we actually made it! I know these next five weeks will provide the 14 students I am traveling with some life changing experiences. They will realize how strong they are and the amazing things they can do if they put their mind to it, even at times when they don't believe in themselves. But...I feel I am getting ahead of myself as the three previous days of just getting to here was not without a small adventure of its own.

I use to think that traveling with my own family was a comedy of errors – try traveling with 13 teenagers from age 13 to 23 and you will quickly discover that traveling with three kids is a piece of cake. Now, I am not saying they have been a challenge in any way because they haven't - it is just all the little things that happened along the way that has made things a little more interesting. The bumps really began on the first travel day with the girls flying from Edmonton to Calgary delayed for 5 hours due to mechanic issues with the plane. I spoke about this in the previous blog and all in all it worked out and they manage to arrive just in time for supper. That was day one complete. Thursday the morning started out interesting with one of the students showing me a broken glasses frame – the only pair he had. Not only the only pair but the pair he needed to wear at all times to see! It appears he thought he had placed them in a safe spot during the night but low and behold, his roommate got out of bed on the opposite side and stepped on them. A few pieces of tape fixed the glasses for the moment until something else could be figured out. After stopping to talk to someone at the hotel, it was discovered that there was a eye doctor just down from where we were staying in Richmond and he opened at 9am. Knowing we needed head to the airport by 10am to catch our flights, time was going to be tight but also these glasses needed to be fixed. Off to breakfast we went, tape on glasses and then to the eye doctor. Thankfully there was someone in the office at 9am who could assist and the section of broken frames was quickly soldered back together. Hopefully it will hold together for our time in Japan.

The morning was not without other little bumps with one student wiping out on the pavement on the way back to the hotel, skinning both his knees and a backpack being left on the airport shuttle – all before even really checking into our flight. All those little things managed to get resolved without much trouble but it was when one of the students turned to me as we were boarding to let me know he just realized he left his fanny back with ALL his cash, ID, medical card and other important information at security did my heart do a little flip flop. I knew there was no way I could get back to security in time and still make the flight buy also knew we needed this fanny pack. I talked to the ladies at the counter and they informed me they could not call security to locate the missing item. I was quickly running out of options. It was then I noticed an Air Canada staff sat chatting to one of the passengers. I am not even sure what his job description was but hoped he could help. I interrupted their conversion and quickly explained the situation and asked him if he could run back to security for me. He said he would and went off at a run (you would know it – our gate was the the furthest away from security). We boarded the plane and I talked to the staff on board about the situation, hoping the missing fanny pack around arrive prior to the doors closing. It was not long before a saw a flash of a bright green Air Canada safety vest and the return fanny pack. He stated that secure was not sure about releasing it to him but when he explained we were about to take off and could not come back and claim it ourselves, they gave it to him. I was breathing a little easier once I knew it was returned. Not sure whether or not we would see it again, I was beginning to figure out how to pull together some money for the student while in Japan. With that, the doors locked on we were on our way.

Olympic Center in Tokyo
The flight to Japan was long but good. The students watched movies, talked, wrote in their journals and did anything they could to pass the time. Since we left Vancouver at 1pm and landed in Tokyo at 11pm, no one was tired so only one student slept for a short period of time. Upon arriving at the Tokyo airport, we were met by Labo staff (the sister organization in Japan who coordinates the exchange at this end) and shipped our luggage from the airport prior to heading to the Olympic Center for the night. Traveling with large luggage is difficult in Japan as the majority of people use public transport. Our one piece of larger luggage was shipped directly to our host families from the airport, leaving us all with our small overnight carry-on bags. The first night past in a bit of a blur as we were all up for over 24 hours prior to being able to go to bed. We attending a quick orientation that night and called it a day.

Yesterday (our first full day in Japan) was long and busy. Most of the students woke up between midnight and 4am with some getting a few extra hours. The heat hit us first thing in the morning with sweat building on you even while just standing still. We all had a quick breakfast together (with Japanese and western items including french fries) and it was off to orientation. This was quick session of what to expect over the next five weeks and how to make the most of your time in Japan. It was then time for some quick good-byes as students headed back to the airport and train station, depending on where their home-stay for the next few weeks was located. A number of students were staying in the Tokyo area with me so we attending our Welcome Ceremonies. This included us all giving our first speech in Japanese. It was then a few quick hugs and everyone went their separate ways.

For the first 10 days I am staying with a family in one of the suburbs of Tokyo. Yesterday when I arrived their daughter, son-in-law and two year old granddaughter were visiting for the day. I quietly listened to the conversation around me, catching my name being said from time to time. Although I was once fluent in Japanese, I am very rusty at the moment and hope my brain will kick in shortly and pull that knowledge to the front. Until that time, I will do that I can with gestures, a word here and there and a big smile.

Today will be busy. I am off to make a speech at Farewell Cememory for students heading to Canada and the states this summer as well as help at an English lesson. Hoping I will be able to stay awake long enough to get through the day!


No comments:

Post a Comment