Sunday, August 7, 2011

This Time Around

The last time I visited Japan I was a teenage and my world revolved around school and friends. This time visiting Japan as an adult, I am aware of things that probably never crossed my mind on my previous visit. Things such as the recycling system, cooking, groceries and laundry, I have already highlighted through the blog. I hoped that writing about these different areas, those reading would also be provided a glimpse into this beautiful country and the people that call it home.

Unlike North America which is a society made up of mainly immigrants, a foreigner in Japan is very easy to spot. It is not unusual to hear people say “gaikoku jin” when you walk by which means foreigner. I had many people come up to me at public places wanting to practice their English with me as I was walking through public spaces such as train stations or temples. Many of the students visiting this summer had individuals want to touch their hair or skin since it was different. It is all part of being in the country while everyone can tell you are a stranger.

The families I stayed with while in Japan had a very liberate relationship from what I had previously experienced. Twenty years ago in each of the families I stayed with the husband was the head of the family followed by the children and finally the wife. If the husband was sat drinking sake (Japanese wine) in the evening and his glass was empty, he would yell for his wife to fill it for him, even if the bottle was sitting close to him on the table. The husband was served and catered to from the time he woke up until he was in bed asleep. During my previous stay, I never saw a husband assist with any of the cooking, household duties or children. In my first host family, the husband is retired and the wife is still working part-time as a Labo tutor. In this home, the husband played a large role in assisting with tasks around the home including hanging laundry, vacuuming and even cooking. There as been a number of days when we have been very busy with Labo activities, only to return home around a meal time. On theses occasion the husband has had a meal waiting for us on our return. This came as a welcomed surprise.

Having the opportunity to return to Japan as an adult is one I was grateful for. I made the most of each day, working hard on the language, taking advantage of every opportunity provided to me and ensuring I lived each day to its fullest. It was wonderful to be apart of a program that provided youth in Canada the chance to visit a country were life, language and food is so different than what they might have experienced previously. Through adventures and opportunities like this we not only learn more about ourselves but appreciate the country and world we are apart of.

No comments:

Post a Comment